Saturday, June 28, 2008

One-Feather Flatwing

Flawings are my favorite striper flies for hot summer days. They are sparse flies that can be cast with light lines, and they move so well with the current. I like to think of them as 'oceanic soft hackles', since classic wet fly presentations work so well with flatwing flies. I tied this one in baby bunker color scheme: white, cerise, lavender, gray, with touch of blue and yellow. The tail is one long, thin cream saddle, and two strands of rainbow flash.

6 comments:

BLUEANGLER said...

wonderful tie and photos! Vlad,

The less is more... sometimes the moody striper only want those thin profile flies. They don't looks meaty at all but they swing and cast very well. wetfly in the salt, great analogy! : )

flyfishingunlimited said...

Thanks Mark...there is something special in the way flatwings move under the water. I am thinking about a longer switch rod (probably a Batson 6wt we talked about), for mending and line control...they are good flies for that kind of fishing.

BLUEANGLER said...

Vlad,

I can imagine that would be a very elegant way to take a striper! I have fished something small for whiper with my CND 13' 8/9 rod, paired with light line 6wt shorthead. And it is quite a joy to cast those small pinky buggers in this setting. I think instead of take a risk of hitting blank with some heavy weight, I will go for this one... just like wetfly fishing for trout... no no split shot : P BTW, the Jungle Cock eyes are great looking!!

flyfishingunlimited said...

Mark, we need to do some striper fishing, maybe next year-seriously!

BLUEANGLER said...

Great! Vlad,

Let's shoot for next summer.
I will find some "excuse" in order to verture to the NE coast. : )

flyfishingunlimited said...

Sounds like a plan... Let's talk about it-we'll have plenty of time to figure out the details.