Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Striper Switch Rod

The summer is finally here! As I am winding down with my summer semester classes, I have been busy for the past several days trying to finish my "Stripersurf Classic Switcher." I got the blank last fall, and finished it just in time for my trip to Boston, where I will revisit my old stomping grounds in search for one of my favorite gamefish-striped bass. The blank is a nice progressive design by Batson Enterprises, 10'8" for #8 line.

The finished rod doesn't feel overly stiff, so it will be a lot of fun for an average schoolie. I just took out it for a photo shoot and will test cast it tomorrow, trying to find the best line match. Speaking about lines-I reserved several Outbound clear-tip lines for classic presentations, some Airflo models, and a bunch of shooting heads of different lenghts as possible contenders... With some luck, I will know much more about its 'on the water performance' next weekend.




4 comments:

Marcus said...

I can't beleive noone has commented on this yet. It looks like you did a great job with that rod Vlad! I can't wait to see your report from the surf...

flyfishingunlimited said...

Thanks for you comment, Marcus! I just posted the trip report...

BLUEANGLER said...

WOw... what a beautiful rod!! As usual!! Awesome!!

I think your post shocked my google reader... it never shows up, thus I was late... : P

Great build Vlad... Elegant!

flyfishingunlimited said...

Mark, my brother...

Thanks, as always! My visit to striperland was very brief, and I wish I had more time to try the rod. Hope you are enjoying the summer!