Saturday, September 04, 2010

Great Expectations




I found my old haunts around Boston Harbor and further north just as enchanting as ever. The distance can sometimes do things like that to a fisherman. You anticipate every moment of the trip, reliving old memories about early Fall blitzes, spraying bait and brave pulls of a big striper. Old memories die hard!

My expectations turned into something else, perhaps more profound and somewhat disturbing. As expected, I did fish some fine looking water. I spent wonderful moments on and off the water with both old and new friends. However, stripers were not around, ready to play... at least not in any sizable numbers. I fished hard for three days, from Plum Island down to the Harbor, hitting many well known shore locations. The result was a single hookup. While fishing together, my old friend Eric Evans and Boston Harbor guide Dave Skok confirmed something I was reading about-that striper stocks are down. If something doesn't change, this great American gamefish might disappear again...

It is hard to predict the future and we don't know what it will bring. Even though I don't know what the solution is, I certainly hope for the brightest outcome!

Photo credits, top to bottom/left to right: Twilight in Boston Harbor (Vlad), Casting (Dave Skok), Sandy Point surf (Amy), Silversides in the Anisquam (Vlad), Estuary glow (Amy), Ron DiRito and his ceviche (Amy)

8 comments:

BLUEANGLER said...

Hey Vlad,

great report! I too feel sorry about the down winding fishery... hopefully it will back up again soon.
I love those photos! Great works!
I have read some of his articles and fly patterns before. angle hair mushmello pattern? I still have those saltwater material in my fly tying box... maybe it is time to bust them out... : ) enjoy the report! Brother. Hope we will fish together soon! Mark

flyfishingunlimited said...

Thanks brother...I hope we fish together soon, too! Yes, Dave is a great fisherman and flytier and a super guy! I hope you get to do some striper fishing when you arrive to Boston, even though once October arrives, it always becomes more sketchy from the shore, and I suggest making trips to the Cape.

adipose said...

Heading back there next week, Cape Cod actually, will also be chasing both stripers and funny fish.... albies and bo-ni-to. Thanks for the post, some nice shots of Beantown.

flyfishingunlimited said...

Hello and thank you for your comments! September is a prime time... Have a great trip and tight lines!!!

Best,

Vlad

Jeremy said...

Nice posts Vlad. Been wondering what you've been up to and I should've known!
It's where you belong.

You look right at home...and happy with that cocktail in hand *G*

Nice shots you've posted. Take care pal, see you soon. (I'm getting serious about cracking cane...)

Jeremy.

flyfishingunlimited said...

Thanks Jeremy... I haven't fished the river since before the floods. We should try to fish it together before this month ends.

Talk soon,

Vlad

Hitoshi said...

Nice posts Vlad!

flyfishingunlimited said...

Thanks, Hitoshi!!!!