Friday, June 08, 2018

Wild Brown Trout, Serbia

I am back from visiting my old home streams. Here are some pics of wild browns of Eastern Serbia (Eastern Danubian variety/ancient and unique haplogroup), and the stream. Chalky water and perfectly camouflaged fish, who fight incredibly well for their small size. All were caught on large mayfly and sedge dry fly patterns. This kind of fishing requires patience and precise casts in tree-lined tunnels surrounding the small stream. The trout are overfished and wary, while the hatches are prolific and diverse. You would usually get only one or two casts before your target disappears.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

Vlad, welcome back home man. Geez you took some wonderful pics - as usual - of the river and the fish. Thanks for sharing these. So colorful too, I wish I could take some like that but I'm no photog._guy...so, nevermind. *G*

Those mayflies are huge and stunning to see and matched them perfectly. I'll bet you had a blast. I can only guess how careful you needed to be on those waters, so shallow, clear and not for newbies!!

Your rods looked superb and do your flies. I'm matching a couple of your rods with some nice older British reels as you know. They look wonderful, esp. that "Antiquary" edition. Makes me damned near give up my cane....seriosly. I think you knew that. Nice rod man!!!

We'll talk later. I'm taking Nate to a central MN.lake tomorrow for LM bass, some Pike and maybe a panful of sunnies. If you were home I'd take you...your loss!!! ;))

Later man,

Me.

flyfishingunlimited said...

Hi Jeremy,

Glad you like the pics. Each time I fish there it brings me back to my childhood...I caught my first trout on the fly right on one of these stretches above :-). The stream is more overgrown today and fishes best with shorter rods. Glad to hear you're giving those glass rods a workout! Enjoy the trip with Nate and tight lines...We'll talk soon,

Vlad

Becks and Brown Trout said...

Pretty streams and not to much different to my local ones , But I suspect more insects and less people. Great stuff.

Andy

flyfishingunlimited said...

Thanks, Andy, and tight lines!

Vlad