Saturday, October 03, 2026

Stalled Season

I fished today on a beautiful early autumn day. I picked a protected harbor where, historically, schools of peanut bunker and visible blitzing stripers have been almost a certainty at this time of year.

We had a nor’easter last weekend, but the water was very clean. I found no bait and no fish. The place was completely deserted—dead. There was no sign of life. I saw perhaps three single cormorants, spread out over acres of ocean. Even the birds were gone.

It has been the most difficult striper season I have experienced since I started fly fishing for them in the early 1990s. It feels as though all my usual spots have been more or less dead throughout the entire summer. The hardtail season has also been disappointing for shore anglers.

October is here. I plan to make a few more trips to Rhode Island, but I have given up on the idea of saving the season in any meaningful way.

For now, it is simply a stalled season.

No comments: